Tuesday 15 October 2013

Don't take anything for granted

Well, that was certainly a summer to forget! You may have noticed my absence from Blogland for quite a few weeks, I've hated being away, however it was not by choice.I'm not one to air her sob stories in public, but I feel an explanation is due.I actually spent the best part of the summer in hospital after suffering a stroke in July - stroke is something I associate with the elderly and although I don't feel  exactly like a spring chicken, at 46 I never dreamt that this was a medical condition that would effect me, how wrong was I!!
I also underwent brain surgery(I'm not one to do things by half!)I'm going to get on my soap box now - I feel that our NHS service is very unfairly treated by the media, after spending time in Kings College in London and then in my local hospital in Maidstone I'd like to say that although I can't pretend that it was enjoyable I  would like to say that it opened my eyes.  I was so well looked after that I was sad to be discharged in August. The nursing staff were fantastic , certainly over-worked, they didn;t stop all day and received a lot of abuse by some patients I'm sorry to say.
My occupational and physio therapists were outstanding and I would like to have had them all come and live with me!when I went home, lol!
Anyway, after much hard work by them and myself, I am on the road to recovery and can now walk with a stick. Unfortunately, although I have movement back in my left arm, my fingers are proving to be more reluctant to improve and so I am unable to make cards at the moment - I have had a go, but wouldn't dream of posting them on my Blog until I can 'tweak' them.
I have learned many things on this unexpected journey, the main one being not to take anything for granted, especially our health, don't get me wrong - I would not like to know what is around the corner that would not be a good thing, but I do think we need to take time out occasionally to appreciate what we have -  I never realised how much I rely on my hands, not just for leisure, but in the simplest of day to day tasks
Ok that's enough doom and gloom, I just wanted to post a quick explanation of my whereabouts recently (hopefully some of you will have missed me!)
As I said , I won't be posting any cards for a while and will not be able to fulfill any DT duties :(  I will, however, be keeping an eye on all the challenges and visiting your Blogs to see your creations!
Just one more thing, then I promise to zip it!
I would like to say a huge thank you to all the dt members that sent me cards and get well wishes - they were a real boost and were all exquisite - thank youxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

21 comments:

  1. Hi Nat, must have been so scary for you, thank goodness you came through it. I hope that by blogging now and then you may be strengthening your fingers. I totally agree with you about the NHS...my husband had his second chemo yesterday and they are really looking after us. I hope you have someone at home looking after you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you a speed recovery knowing that this takes plenty of time. I am cheering you on. Baby steps and you will be making cards again when you least expect it. Good luck!
    Love n hugs
    Marie, teamie from PFP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nat.
    It's so lovely to hear from you. I was so shocked when I heard what had happened to you. It sounds like you are a real fighter and I hope you continue to make a good recovery.
    Good for you singing the praises of the NHS too.
    Take care, sending you hugs
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nat.
    I am soooo glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery. I can only echo what Sue has said, it was such a shock to hear what had happened to you. Your young boys must be so relieved to have you home. I wish you all the best for a continued recovery.
    Take care and sending you a huge hug
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Nat, what a shock, but so glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and that your experience at Kings was so much better than mine !!! (one day i might tell you).

    Sending you lots of hugs and take care.

    I will e-mail you,

    Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was such a shock when I heard the news but I am so happy that you are recovering well and are back in blogland with us all :-) We have missed your lovely creations and hope you will make a full recovery in time (sadly it does take time) with a bit of crafty therapy to help!
    Big hugs, Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nat, I was really shocked to hear that you have suffered such a terrible ordeal. I am pleased to hear that you are on the mend too honey. I did miss popping by to see your lovely work and am happy that your back. I know this must have been a hard decision making this part of your life public.
    I agree with everything that you said regarding the wonderful job NHS staff do on a daily basis and often as a labour of love too. I am an occupational therapist, so I know first hand the types of abuse some patients feel they need to voice.
    Keep working with your physio and good luck with your recovery. I really do think that everyone could take a leaf out of your book, as I know I do take so much for granted and I am roughly the same age as you.
    Take care, big Cuddles and best of luck. Jay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nat, So pleased to hear you are now on the road to recovery it was such a shock to hear what happened to you and have been thinking of you and your family.
    Sending a BIG hug.
    Take care
    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello nat lovely to hear from you.mglad you are on the mend.. Big hugs to you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. so pleased you are now back home nat and that you are slowly recovering.you take it easy though.
    hugs
    coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg!! Nat I had no idea my blog has been playing up and people have been disappearing left right and centre. Take it easy hun and I wondered where your gorgeous creations had gone and then you popped back up onto my blog and I saw this. Your in my thoughts my friend lots of huggles to you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sue xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww Nat, it's so good to hear that you're back on the road to recovery. All your teamies have been soooo worried about you. Sorry to hear the movement in your hands is not quite back but I'm sure you'll be back to your old self soon! Am sending you the biggest of hugs and hope that your recovery continues. Soooo good to see your post. Super hugs, Jayne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know of you via Paula Holifield's blog and was aware that you had been poorly. I wish you a continued recovery, take it easy and don't rush things. My OH's late mother spent her last weeks in King's College Hospital, we were too far away to visit, but his sister said the staff were wonderful! My daughter is a Health Care Assistant and I know how hard she works. Best wishes to you. Elaine xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Nat, you really gave us such a scare missus! I cannot tell you how happy it makes me feel to see you back here in blogland. All the Fairies are missing you, and your place with us is secure for whenever you need it hun. Sending you the biggest and gentlest of hugs, and may your recovery gather speed by the day. Love n hugs, Squirrel xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Nat, so glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  16. So lovely to hear from you Nat and that you are on the road to recovery. We on the ALBC & PFP teams have really been worried about you and as you say never take anything for granted. Must be frustrating not to be able to make anything just yet but all good things come to those that wait. Take care, big hug Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh dear what terrible news...i'm so shocked and yet you manage to cheer us up by your positive thinking, i'm very very impressed, you're a great person....i'm sending you all the love i have
    huge hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nat, I just popped by to have a look at your blog and I am sad to hear of all you have been through, but glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and I hope to see more of your lovely creations some time soon. Hugs and Prayers for you. Karal

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Nat, was just popping by after you left a lovely comment on my blog and picking me for the PFP top 5 - thank you so much. Most of all thank you so much for sharing your very wise words here, it is so true and so very easy to forget in the hecticness of everyday life that you must appreciate every moment as you never know when it is gone. You sound like a very strong woman indeed and good for you keeping such a positive attitude. All my love and strength goes out to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Nat, My goodness, I was MIA from crafting for awhile, and just got back into it. Wanted to come by and drool over your cards. Bless your heart, what an experience. I can't even imagine. I wish you the best recovery, and can't wait to see your cards again.

    xx
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my Nat !!!!!!! so great to see you back lots and lots of huggles Sue xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I really appreciate any comments x